“I’m so glad he still enjoys it!” enthused a friend on Facebook, commenting on a picture of my teen at Disney World. I had just posted our family’s pictures from our annual trip.
Her comment made me curious. “Why wouldn’t he enjoy Disney World?” I thought.
Perhaps folks who don’t go to Disney World as often as we do might think that Mickey and friends are geared towards youngsters. But this couldn’t be further from the truth.
Disney World is fun for all ages, and especially for teens. Here are 10 reasons why Disney World is Tops for teens, aka the big kids:
1. Disney World brings out the little kid in teens. Whether they are genuinely enjoying a ride, letting down their cool teen facade, or smiling with glee to meet Buzz Lightyear or Stitch, Disney World makes teens happy.
2. Teens get so happy at Disney World that they become affectionate with their parents (gasp!). My teen will actually hug me at Disney World in public and not think a thing of it.
3. Disney World “made you look”. Now, I don’t know if your teen has ever gone through this phase, but mine did at Disney World. And he was thrilled to try and sneak it into every picture. What is it you ask? I truly have no clue. But if someone looks at the circle he makes with his hand below the waist, he can punch you and wipe it off. Whatever.
4. They have plentiful WiFi at Disney World, whether in the parks or at the resorts. This makes all teens happy.
5. There are other teens, too, many of whom are cute or attractive. One of our favorite family memories will be from this year’s visit to Disney World when we stayed at the Boardwalk Resort. My husband bet my son $20 to swim up to some girls at the pool, jump up and say, “Hello ladies!” He did it, we all laughed and laughed, and he was $20 richer.
6. The food at Disney World is delicious. Teens love to eat, and thankfully, Disney World has plenty of tasty offerings!
7. The rides are for all ages. So what is he doesn’t want to ride Peter Pan anymore? I’ll stand in line with him to ride Big Thunder Mountain again and again. Just don’t make me go on Space Mountain.
8. There are lots of shops. Lots. And it is at least fun to look, even if you don’t want to spend $50 on a t-shirt.
9. Pin trading is interesting for all ages. My teen loves to look at cast members’ pins and trade for a cool or unique find.
10. And the 10th reason why Disney World is tops for teens? Mickey Mouse. That dude is cool. And he’s kind of everywhere, because, you know, it’s Disney World.
So don’t be surprised the next time you see a teen having a great time at the Happiest Place on Earth. From WiFi to rides, Disney World is tops for teens.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to try making reservations to dine at Be Our Guest during our next visit in 2019. Fingers crossed!
My daughter, 16, cannot wait for our next visit to Disney! All my kiddos cannot wait and they’re all over 9, so yeah, Disney really is for everyone. I couldn’t agree more Disney has this magical way of making your kids so gleeful and there’s a little extra love and thank yous. 🙂
I LOVE that extra love and those thank yous from my tween and teen!!
Your kiddos are super cute1 We are doing Disneyland this spring. I know my teens can’t wait!!!
So fun! There are a lot of new things at DisneyLand, enjoy!
Karen, the next best thing to mummy says
I have never been to Disney, my son is thinking of taking my grandchildren next year, will suggest that he reads this post #[email protected]_karendennis
Thanks, Karen! I often see many families from the UK as Disney. It’s quite the culture shock, I bet, but hopefully a very fun one.
Sharon Parry says
We’ve never been Katy but I just know that my teens would absolutely love it! As you quite rightly point out, it has everything that teens will love and it’s a place where they would simply not take themselves too seriously. No all I have to do is save up to get them there! Thanks so much for sharing with us at #TeensTweensBeyond
Morgan Prince says
Oh I love this so much! We went to Disney World this summer and BP had an amazing time – he loves the place, and you’re so right about all of it. BP is 14 and he still loves the place as much as he did when he was 6! And yes, Mickey Mouse is cool – FACT.
Right on, Morgan! You can’t go wrong with Mickey. So happy you and your teen had an amazing time. 🙂
My 15 and 17 year old absolutely LOVE Disney. Last summer I took my 15 year old for the second time and I am taking her again this summer. My 17 year old is going with friends this summer (part of her graduation gift). My 18 son is the only one who hasn’t gone yet but he will soon very very soon.
Funny story. Jailane is the youngest of my three. We are walking around, it’s hot (July 4th week) and crowded. She spots Pooh Bear at a distance and takes off running (I can still see her). She runs up to him a gives him the BIGGEST hug. It just warms my heart that she still has this innocence about her and the love she has for Disney.
Your posts have made me laugh so much and brought back many memories of my children growing up at Disney World. My Son had his 1st birthday there, My daughter was eight. We have been so many times I can’t count. The last was 2019. He is now 21and she 28, She will be going on her own with her boyfriend next year. You never grow out of Disney. Keep writing your posts.