Welcome to #FlashbackFebruary, where I’ll be sharing some of my favorite blog posts from February in years past.
Yes, I made this up. Humor me.
Look how cute she was back then:
“How fun!” I thought as we got ready to make Valentines.
Well, I was so, so wrong on the “fun” part. Making Valentines with a six-year old was anything but smooth and festive. Here’s a reminder of the 24 steps it took us to finish her Valentines in kindergarten:
1. Buy box of Valentine’s Day cards to make Valentines for 26 classmates.
2. Thank the Lord that she picked a box that has 34 Valentines in it rather than a box with 12 Valentines. No need to buy 3 boxes.
3. Break out the 3 sheets from the Kindergarten teacher which have all 26 kids’ names and photos printed on them. These are to glue on to each Valentine. Think to self, “Great! This should be easy.”
4. Help daughter begin making Valentines. Note that it’s 3 weeks before Valentine’s Day. Plenty of time!
5. Watch daughter cut out very specifically and from the middle of each page the first 3 kids’ names and photos that she wants to make Valentines for.
6. Watch daughter use glue stick to attach the names and photos onto 3 Valentines.
7. Help by folding 3 Valentines in half and use heart stickers to secure the Valentines.
8. Watch daughter sign her name on each Valentine.
9. Realize an hour has gone by and there’s dinner to cook, laundry to fold, and extracurricular activities to attend.
10. Put Valentine’s cards away.
11. Ask the next day if daughter wants to do more Valentines. Listen as she says, “No thanks.”
12. Repeat 11.
13. Repeat 11.
14. Repeat 11.
15. Make daughter do 3 more Valentines. Say encouraging words to show her how FUN this is. Allow her to start signing her nickname instead of her full name.
16. Repeat 11. Every day for the next 2 weeks.
17. Realize there are only hours left before Valentines are due. Beg, plead, and encourage daughter to work on them.
18. Start helping. A little glue here. A little cutting there.
19. Feed daughter M&Ms and promise lots of cuddle time if She. Just. Does. Valentines.
19. Help a lot more. Just keep smiling.
20. Send 26 lovely Valentines to school with daughter.
21. Drink wine.
22. Repeat 21.
23. Repeat 21.
24. Repeat 21.
Thanks for reading this installment of #FlashbackFebruary. And, Happy Valentine’s Day!