Do you know why the slow cooker was invented?
Legend has it that…
No, whatever I was going to write is baloney.
Nor was it invented to make millions of fans of This Is Us cry with its plot line on that show (sorry, I don’t even watch This Is Us).
Here are the honest reasons why the slow cooker was invented:
- So you could hear your kids exclaim, “Ewww. What’s that smell?” when they come home from school.
- So you harbor the delusion that you might eat dinner together as a family in the 5 minutes all of you are at home on a weeknight in between all of the practices, games, and rehearsals you have.
- So you believe you’re saving time by not making dinner one night, conveniently forgetting you spent 30 minutes making it the night before, chopping, browning and assembling ingredients LAST night so you could save time tonight.
- So you could hear your spouse say, “Oh. THAT recipe again?”
- So your spouse could complain about having to clean the slow cooker when he really just leave its in the sink indefinitely, hoping the baked-on goo eventually comes off in 2-3 weeks.
- So you could hear well-intentioned people tell you,”I NEVER deal with baked-on goo. You really need to use slow cooker liners. They are the best! You’re an idiot.” Okay, they don’t really say “You’re an idiot” out loud, but they are thinking it.
- So you could spend hours searching Pinterest for just one recipe that doesn’t take 30 minutes to make BEFORE going in the slow cooker and that at least 2 of the 4 people in your family will eat without complaint.
- And finally? The real reason that slow cookers were invented? SO THAT NO ONE IN YOUR FAMILY IS HAPPY.
What do you think? Do you know of other reasons the slow cooker was invented? Do you watch This Is Us?
And, just so you don’t think I’m consumed with bitterness about the slow cooker, check out our family’s favorite recipe. It’s got tater tots, cheese, bacon and chicken. Four out of four of us recommend it!