You know what novel home invention I need someone to invent? This cartoon, courtesy of everythingfunny.org, sums it up perfectly:
Indeed, every time I set my oven above 400 degrees, I set off the smoke alarm. Since our house is newer, it’s equipped with a highly sophisticated smoke alarm that includes someone bellowing “FIRE! FIRE!” as well as beeping loudly for the whole neighborhood to hear. My kids and I have become experts at grabbing the dish towel and waving it under the smoke detector until it shuts up.
But really?!? I’m just cooking.
(For those of you wondering, yes, if I run the exhaust fan while using the oven at that high temperature, I can avoid setting off the alarm. If I remember. Ahem. Plus, our exhaust fan sounds like a 747 so no one can hear themselves think–or the TV–when it’s on.)
That got me thinking about other novel home inventions I wish someone would hurry up and invent. These could be so great! Things like:
- Children’s homework that signs itself when finished and correct.
- Dust-repelling baseboards
- Beds that make themselves
- Bathrooms that clean themselves
- Car doors that are ding-proof
- Garages that hold every bike, snow boot, ball, sled, lawn mower, snow blower, and hockey equipment bag and STILL have room for actual cars to be parked there.
- Packed lunches for school that are affordable, tasty, and nutritious. Oh, and if they could pack themselves that would be great, too.
- A machine that folds laundry
- A refrigerator that automatically tosses items that have expired
- Some sort of magic paper sorting machine that knew what to keep (and had a place for it) and what to throw away.
- Toilet paper rolls that never run out
- Toilets that never get clogged
And so on and so forth. If I only had these inventions, life would be better! Tell me, what novel home inventions would you like to see?