My oldest turns 13 this month. Happy birthday to my boy!
In honor of this joyful and momentous occasion, here are the thirteen things I love about my thirteen year old.
- He is kind to his sister more often then he is a butthead to his sister.
- He loves cats, video games, fishing, and ice hockey. He doesn’t care who thinks any of those things might not be “cool”.
- He has a great sense of humor. Check out this screen shot of a recent exchange we had via text:
- He tells me he loves me.
- He tells me I’m a good mom. (Sniff!)
- He is still shorter than me at 5’5″ so I can pretend he is still my baby.
- He is a sports SUPER FAN. You want to be sitting next to this kid at any major sporting event, trust me. He cheers with his whole heart, feels every ounce of the victory or defeat, and desperately wants to appear on the Jumbotron so much dancing and hilarity are displayed.
- He is thoughtful. Here’s an example. He waited 51 weeks after getting his first cell phone to break it AND it was within days of his father and I setting him up with a newer, better phone for his 13th birthday. How considerate, right?
- He is social and friendly. He makes friends happily and puts everyone at ease.
- He’s my son and I love him.
Happy birthday to my thirteen year old! Do you remember being thirteen? Was it a good year or an awkward year? Do you have any advice for my son–or me–as we enter the teen years?