For years I sat through Elmo and Caillou (ACK!) with my daughter.
I’ve watched tween comedies like Liv and Maddie and The Loud House.
My daughter, 11, even went through a savage Full House rerun phase.
But I’m happy to report that those days are over (mostly). That’s because we are watching full-blown reality TV together these days. Specifically, we enjoy watching Live PD on Friday and Saturday nights.
For those of you who haven’t heard, Live PD is a show that follows cops doing their job in real time. It airs on the A&E network. Per their website:
“From DUI checkpoint stops to high-speed chases, bar fights to gang shootings, domestic disputes to drug busts, A&E’s documentary series Live PD captures it all.”
That’s right, I’ve gone from watching Caillou and tween comedies with my daughter to watching high speed chases and domestic disturbances!
Why we like Live PD:
1. It shows how messed up you can get from doing drugs. The cops arrest people every night who are doing drugs, and acting stupid, or selling drugs, which is just plain stupid.
2. It highlights the importance of not being in a relationship with someone who hits you.
3. It’s hilarious, because people are dumb and do dumb things. Like the guy who stayed in a bathroom at the auto parts store for over an hour and the store had to call the police to kick him out. He was just on drugs, of course.
4. Policing is like parenting. I swear police officers say the same things that parents do, like:
- Wanna tell me what’s going on?
- Well, that was a bad choice.
- GET OVER HERE NOW
5. It’s fun because it’s live and happening as you watch it. I’ve always been a fan of the original “Cops” that aired for years, but this is a bit more exciting because it’s live. Warning: because it’s live, sometimes they miss beeping out a swear word.
6. Live PD shows that there is bad in this world. It’s a reality check.
7. Live PD shows that there is good in this world. The cops are genuinely trying to help.
8. It’s full of girl power! There are lots of female role models on Live PD. Our favorite female officer is Officer Zendejas in El Paso, who is strong and empathetic.
9. My daughter should be a good driver after watching Live PD. People get pulled over for broken taillights, failure to stop at a stop sign, etc. Just follow the laws, people.
10. The hosts are a hoot. They aren’t trying to be, but they are. They provide commentary from a studio in New York on what they see. You swear you can almost hear them say “dumb a##” under their breath.
So if you like reality TV, action, and want your kids to see first hand the dangers of drugs, then check out Live PD. There’s also a fun community on Twitter using the hashtag #LivePDNation that you can chat with as you watch.
Have you seen Live PD? What is your favorite reality TV show?